As art museums and galleries across the globe digitally compiled information about their collections, a company called Smartify CIC created an application that allows users to access them through a database.
Now you don’t have to just stand and visually appreciate museum art works in different galleries located in some parts of the U.S. the U.K. and European countries. Rather than just stare and wonder whose hands are behind the artwork and what inspired him or her to create a masterpiece, installing a Smartify app will furnish you all those information and more.
Awesome even is that you can install the Smartify app free of charge.
Smartify users can even scan and save images to build a personal digital collection of all the favorite paintings, sculptures and gallery pieces they have seen. That way, they can share not just images but also related facts, audio commentaries and artwork interpretations; allowing better appreciation of the impressive artworks viewed up close during their travels.
List of Museums to Which Smartify can Connect
When visiting art galleries and museums in the U.S. UK and European countries like Amsterdam, Russia, Germany, Greece, and Italy or even in Singapore, Smartify can connect with the following institutions:
The Metropolitan Museum of Art NY
The Met Cloisters NY
The Los Angeles County Museum of Art
Paul Getty Museum Los Angeles
Los Angeles County Museum of Art LA
Laguna Art Museum LA
Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery Washington DC
Smithsonian’s Freer and Sackler Gallery of Arts Washington DC
Museum of Contemporary Photography Chicago
Nelson-Atkins Museum of.Art Kansas City
Shangri La Museum Honolulu
The Mint Museum Charlotte, North Carolina
National Gallery London
Sculpture in the City London
Guildhall Art Gallery London
British Library London
House of St, Barnabas London
National Portrait Gallery London
Royal Academy of Arts London
The Wallace Collection London
Ben Uri Gallery London
Saatchi Gallery London
Tate Britain London
Royal Academy of Arts London
Waddesdon Manor Waddesdon, Buckinghamshire, England
Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art Middlesbrough, England
The Lowry Manchester, England
The Bowes Museum Barnard Castle, Teesdale England
Turner Contemporary Margate Kent. England
The National Library of Wales Aberystwyth
Kelvingrove Art Gallery Glasgow, Scotland
The Louvre Paris
Spray Collection Paris
Rijksmuseum Twenthe Enschede, Netherlands
Mauritshuis The Hague, Netherlands
Museo Correr Venice, Italy
Madre Museo d’arte Contemporanea Donnaregina Naples, Italy
The State Hermitage Museum St. Petersburg, Russia
Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow, Russia
Urban Nation Berlin, Germany
EMST National Museum of Contemporary Arts, Athens Greece
Hepta Art Gallery Tehran, Iran
Indian Heritage Center Singapore
How Smartify Works
- Allow the Smartify app to capture an image of an art piece by pointing and focusing your phone camera on the object. As the app gets to recognize the captured display, swiping left will show every information about the artpiece, as collected and recorded by the museum.
- A swipe to the right will reveal the name and relevant information about the artist.
- Scrolling down activates the audio commentary along with additional information provided through the app’s link with Wikimedia.
- To get a closer view of a particular gallery display, pinch the screen to zoom in and out.
- In case you want to save an image, tapping the “Heart” icon at the upper right corner will allow you to store it in your phone’s image gallery.
- Manage your image collections by creating a file that you can edit and customise via the Profile page.